Now THIS is how to have fun at your SuperBowl party
It’s official: The teams are set, players pumped and the stadium is sold out….don’t have tix, no worries because guess what, if you’re watching from home you have the best seat in the house – that is of course if you’re actually sitting. If you’re throwing a Superbowl party, chances are you’ll be focused, at least somewhat, on your guests. Aaaaaaah then the moment happens – you’re running into the kitchen for the napkins, extra plates, refill, mustard…and from the other room you hear it; a loud, raucous roar, cheering, high-fiving, woohooing. You know you just missed something big.
It was so nice of you to invite everyone over. Shopping, schlepping, cleaning, setting up for your dear friends, who are going to have a blast and thank you profusely – but what about you? Have you got yourself covered? Are you prepared to have a good time, hang with the gang and enjoy your own party? Did I hear a “heck yeah!” – good because I’m setting you up with three little initials that have become very popular these days with everything from fashion to construction: D.I.Y. Yes this is the key to feeling like a guest at your own Superbowl party – or any party for that matter. From food, drinks and set up, I’m going to break it down for you right now. Here we go!
Create stations or one long table (serving trays work great too) for these 3 categories:
1. Station #1: Food
The easiest, tastiest and heartiest thing you can offer is your favorite chili. A DIY chili bar offers a delicious and simple way to serve your guests without having to worry if the food is getting cold and tired from being out too long. You can prepare it a day or two before and serve it right from the crockpot, just don’t make it too spicy – let your guests add hot sauce if they need more heat. Offer 5 bowls of your favorite toppings; cilantro, cheese (try a Manchego cheese), onions, sour cream (use a plain Greek yogurt instead to keep it healthy and light) and fresh lime wedges. Whether it’s a vegetarian, turkey or traditional chili, your guests will be thankful for an old time favorite – serve with a green salad and you’re good to go.
Here’s my White Bean & Turkey Chili recipe. It’s super easy to make and even better to eat!
all your food snacks, condiments, chips, toppings, go together on one table along – don’t forget the serving utensils.
2. Station #2: Drinks
Fact: the world of entertaining, party, throwing and events is one of the biggest offenders to the environment due to massive waste. Recycled or recyclable party supplies is the way to go. I buy mine at our online shop, Life’s A Party and have it shipped to the house (how easy is that!)
– glasses or disposable paper cups
– wine & bottle openers
– large ice bucket for beers, water, wine and ice (can literally be a metal bucket or tub – I get mine metal buckets from home depot or the hardware store)
– Tie a couple bottle openers to the handle so they don’t get carried away in a moment of distraction.
– bar fruit
– liquor bottles
– shakers or stirrers depending on what cocktails you’re offering
– trash can
3. Station #3: Dishes etc.
This is where you’ll have all your supplies.
– more glasses / cups
– napkins – in yellow also double as ‘penalty flags’.
– spoons (even if you don’t need one – you know someone’s going to ask for one)
Liza’s Super #PartyTricks:
* Drape a cloth over the station tables and keep all extras under the table; bags of snacks, waters, trash bags, napkins, plates of whatever you already have out. That way if someone asks for more you can say “look under the table”. No one leaves the room, everyone’s happy.
* While you’re at the hardware store picking up your drink and ice tubs, get your self a few feet of astro turf, size and cut to fit your station tables or trays. Use white duct tape to makes yard lines on your astro field. This little decor tip also protects your surfaces from drippings, stains and melting ice.
* If you are serving your food on platters, make up a few extra so they’ll be ready to switch out for the empties – ok, so you might have to leave for a second to get them in the kitchen if they need to be refrigerated.
* Mason jars are a great all purpose drinks glass – hearty, durable and stemless they won’t knock over easily with the sudden jump-from-your-seat cheer.
* If you’re going easy with disposable plates, napkins, utensils, check out our party supply store Life’s A Party – it’s a great way to support efforts to make parties more ‘green’, you can even order online and delivered to your door.
Print this up, share it, take it with you to the store.
Call your friends, break out the tables, stock up on goodies and have yourself a ball.
Game on – you’re covered, relax, enjoy your party and may the best team win!
XO ~ L