Sizzling Mojito Recipe
I got this recipe from Rick Bayless when I interviewed him at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. Rick loves to entertain almost as much as he loves the bright, bold flavors of the Mexican cuisine he cooks. When I asked Rick what cocktail he would serve to balance the robust flavors, he was excited to share his newest cocktail recipe with me. The ‘Sizzling Mojito’ is a combination of two of my favorite warm weather drinks – a mojito and a margarita. The fresh mint cools the heat of the chili and the tequila gives it nice punch. A delicious and refreshing cocktail – it’s perfect to pair with the spiciest food or the tastiest guacamole – ole!
Make simple syrup mixture, simmering ginger, sugar and habanero chili together. Once mixture cools, strain out ginger and chili. Muddle fresh ginger and mint together in the glass. Fill glass with ice, add simple syrup, tequila and top with soda water – add a sprig of mint and lime wedge for garnish.
How To Make Simple Syrup:
What you need:
1 part water
2 parts sugar (you can substitute sugar for agave or honey)
1. Pour water into a pot and place the pot on the stovetop.
2. Use high heat to bring the water to a rolling boil.
3. Add sugar to boiling water.
4. Stir the sugar and water mixture with a spoon to help dissolve the sugar. This is the time to add additional ingredients to help flavor the mixture.
5. Continue to cool and stir the mixture until all of the sugar has dissolved into the water and the mixture has a syrup-like consistency.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the simple syrup to cool.
7. Transfer the simple syrup into a container and store the covered container in the refrigerator.
8. Use the simple syrup as needed in recipe or beverages.
8 fresh mint leaves
1.5 oz – ginger & habanero simple syrup mixture (directions on how to make simple syrup below)
1.5 oz – fresh squeezed lime juice
2 oz – good quality blanco tequila
1 bottle Soda water – for a splash.