Spring-Time Whole Wheat Pasta In Lemony-Walnut-Garlic Sauce deeeeeeelish!
I found this through zaikazabardast.com and made a few tweaks of my own love to keep it as healthy as possible. I love it’s simplicity yet the boldness of flavors knocks you out!
Try this tonight and it will soon be a staple in your kitchen – Enjoy!
This is a deelish pasta recipe that is the perfect companion or stand alone dish for the crisp air and bright sunny days of Spring – those days when you crave fresh greens, citrus and lightness, but still need something substantial and warm in your belly to ward off the cold nights.
Total time: 30-40 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. It’s asparagus time!
3. Cut the ends of asparagus and chop them about 2 to 3” long. Tip: leave rubber band on the asparagus, it’s easier to trim off the ends all in one shot and save time. Spread them out on cooking sheet and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Quickly roast in oven for 10-15 minutes max – keep them slightly crunchy, alive and nutritious.
4. Switch out asparagus for walnuts next and toast nuts on a cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to let them burn – they take off fast.
5. At the same time your asparagus is in oven, cook the pasta according to the direction on the package. Remember whole wheat pasta will take a little bit more time to cook than regular pasta.
Now it’s time for the lemony garlicky buttery walnut sauce:
6. In a wide-bottomed flat pan, heat up oil and butter and let it brown a bit.
7. Once you see medium amber color add chopped garlic and sauté for a while.
8. Next add chopped, toasted walnuts along with lemon zest, lemon juice and pasta water to the pan.
9. Season with salt and pepper and bring it to boil.
10. Add crushed red pepper for extra heat.
11. When it comes to boil, lower the heat to low-medium and add roasted asparagus along with pasta and gently toss it in sauce. Give a little time to let the pasta absorb all the yummy flavors.
12. Toss in a handful of parmesan cheese.
13. Dish out and serve on the bed arugula topped with a pinch of salt, pepper and sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
Voila! Enjoy the lively flavors of delicious Spring pasta.
1 pound whole wheat linguine/spaghetti
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 lb of asparagus
3 Tbsp Olive oil for roasting asparagus and to cook pasta
½ cup Parmesan cheese
4 cups Arugula
LEMON GARLIC WALNUT SAUCE:
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp EVOO
3- 4 clove garlic, finely chopped and if you like more go for it – Aaaahhh
Crushed red pepper to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon (use half if you prefer less tangy)
1/2 cup pasta water
½ cup roasted walnuts (Keep a handful aside to garnish)