There was a time when “Pink Wine” – as it is affectionately called by my old timer customers – was looked down upon with the same disdain as bad cough syrup. Actually, I think they may have even been interchangeable on some nights providing the same results. A bit of a sickening sugary buzz that knocked you out at night and blasted you in the head in the morning. Aha – no wonder why it’s taken Americans so long to catch on to the Rose Rapture
When I say rapture, I mean truly, there is no better wine for the warm Summer days and nights, light fresh cuisine, seafood, and ripe fruits of the longest days of the year. The trick is to pick a good one – no, a great one – in order to appreciate the subtle, refined and whimsical character of this beautiful wine. So if you haven’t ventured out to the world of Rose filled glasses yet – you must, must give it a try and treat yourself to what the French have known for years – “Life is too short to drink bad wine!”
7 Wine Buying Tips to get the Perfect Rose Wine:
1. The best Rose wines are made in Provence, France – If it doesn’t say Provence on the label, don’t buy it.
2. You don’t always get what you pay for. There are some fantastic and inexpensive wines that offer terrific value – love these for summer parties.
3. A true Rose is a very pale pink or salmon color. If it’s bright pink, run – don’t walk.
4. Serve the rose chilled, but not frozen. A Rose is very delicate and dry – if it is served ice cold it will taste like a cold glass of dry water – and you’ll miss out on all the fun.
5. Choose small white wine glasses or special rose glasses to serve the wine – or two straws if you like – there is no need to serve in a big wine glass as the wine does not require breathing.
6. Pair Rose with your choice of salads, vegetables, fish, seafood – even a mid-day omelet and mixed green salad tastes that much more delicious with Rose.
7. Makes for a perfect summer host/ess gift – you might want to pick up two, “one for me and one for you!”
Hope you’re having a great summer so far, hopefully this will make it even better.